Thursday, August 26, 2010

A step further

Life, the way I see it, is a long road. It's more than just about reaching a destination. It's definitely not about who walks tallest, fastest or richest. It's all about enjoying the journey. Truly said, the means define the ends. And I believe in happy endings.

No. Not the kind of happy ending in Enid Bylton's or Walt Disney's aspirations. Those, I know for sure, do not exit - in any form whatsoever. What I essentially believe in is the end of this journey called life.

And this journey is not just theoretical.

I believe, there comes a point in all our lives when we wish to venture farther. To be more. To see more. To do more. More than just who we are as a person. These are the real journeys. Journeys that bring you home. That bring you closer to being who you are. The Journey within. The one that penetrates the layers of skin, blood, bones - inward journeys - journey within the deeper layer of the soul.

When I travel outwardly, I know what I really attempt here are journeys that help me look within.
Time to elaborate this idea further.

First things first. Honestly, one can only patiently look within when the external environment is soothing & calm. Hence, when we travel (physically or psychologically!) one of the basic necessities is essentially a calming external environment.

A lot of us, including me, travel to regain that inner peace. I especially love traveling when I am disturbed and like to be left to myself. And I am sure there are many other who choose to peek into their inner sanctum sanctorum by being themselves in a totally new or different place.

While your reason to travel might be different, the urge to travel always remains the same. If not for inner peace, some of us just like the quiet introspection. Here you might say that travelling is not necessary, however, usually most of us live such packed lives and are living so many parallel lives at the same time, that unless there is a change of time, space & location, it becomes well nigh impossible.

Now, coming back to the realities of our lives. I am not sure how many, but I am sure a lot of us would really like to make many more such journeys. I intend to help. Simple.

More than the help here being a negative factor, I want to position it as a positive facet. Trust me, it is not difficult to fill a bag, buy a ticket and move. It is not. I can say this because I have done this myself. At a personal level, when the realities of the real world become too difficult to digest, I choose to digress. When I do that, I am not looking at fancy 5-stars hotels, palaces, sight seeings, 2AC/Executive class bookings, etc. That is usually the last thing on my mind or itinerary.

Understanding this very underlying feeling, I think the best thing to offer travellers is that inner peace. And make no mistakes, I don't promise "fulfilling" trips to Ajanta, Sanchi or any such place. I know such travellers don't want tour guides or itineraries - and I don't feel the need to offer those. If that is what one is looking for, there are dime-a-dozen such other places to go to.

What I really plan is building a pan-India route.

Besides covering all major points in each and every state, this route will essentially act as a system. It shall be friendly, warm & comfortable - keep no doubt about it. However, it shall only help you negotiate getting to these places. Once at the destination - travellers need no real compasses, let your heart lead you
way and you will surely leave beautiful trails in your minds. It is essentially a route, but not fixed. And it goes without saying, the usual sights shall be skipped (unless the traveller chooses so themselves!). The map, the guide rail - shall take you through almost unknown beautiful serenades throughout the country. There shall be no obligation to go start through end. You can choose to join from wherever to wherever, whenever. Arrangements shall be made.

Before you rubbish the idea off, give it a deep thought. I already understand the difficulties while laying such elaborate plans. It's just a very different audience that I wish to cater to. Very niche in a sense.

My gut feeling says it all makes sense. What does your worldly sense say?

(Keen to hear what you think about it!)

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." -- Jawaharal Nehru

6 comments:

  1. The Journey within....Lovely lines and lovely thoughts. After a long gap, I read your piece, but it's really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and thoughtfully too! For someone who loves travelling long distances by road, I can empathise with you. Some of the best moments of my life have been experienced while travelling. Meeting people on these journeys has been the other high point of my travails...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    I think I have yet to reach that high point of being able to travel whenever, wherever.

    "...miles to go before I sleep.."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written.. I loved it a lot and could relate with what you had written. I wish we did have a Pan-India route in reality.. I will be one of the 1st to travel in such a route.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome fellow-first-traveller!
    Just saying : The Pan-India route ... coming soon...

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

I would really like to know your opinion - whether its about this particular post or my blog - feel free to shower me with bouquets or brickbats (or both!)

-Rashida